Replacing the contents in your home after an unexpected loss from fire, flood, or even burglary can be difficult but is one of the most important parts of putting your life back together. Having an up to date home inventory speeds up the process when filing claims and helps you get the best possible replacement value.
Here are a few tips to assist you in getting started:
- Mobile apps and online services, such as Google Drive or box.net, are convenient ways to keep track of everything you own and to securely store pictures and videos of your belongings on your server.
- Document each item’s description, serial number, purchase date, and estimated value. This makes going back and identifying the item much easier. If you can, store the receipts with your inventory list.
- Document everything you own with a value of $50 or more as you go through and inventory your house.
- Start by taking inventory of a contained area in your house and move on from there. Great examples of starting places include kitchen cabinets, closets, or shelves.
- Inventory new items and work your way back so that you can get a current grasp on what you own.
- For expensive items like jewelry, art, or collectibles, make sure you have the right insurance to cover those valuables before one of them goes missing!
- Don’t forget to include items located in off-site storage facilities because they are still covered by your homeowners insurance.
- As an added precaution, keep a paper copy of your home inventory in a safe deposit box off your property.
In addition to making a claim, a home inventory is helpful in going over your insurance policy annually so that value can be adjusted as needed. According to a recent study, 75% of homeworkers don’t have a policy that covers their home and belongings in its entirety in the event of a disaster.
WBR offers a wide range of policies you can choose from. Allow your insurance agent to help you ensure that you have the right kind of policy before disaster strikes!
For more information on how to keep your belongings safe, contact one of our experienced agents. https://wbrinsurance.com/contact-us/